Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What's in YOUR cupboard?!

OK, I was slightly ripping off the "what's in your wallet" commercial.But it got me to thinking about what I keep on hand and hate to run out of. Today I will run down some things that might not seem the usual "doggie" items, but have come through in flying colors when I have needed them. 1. Apple Cider Vinegar! The best is organic, and I use it for just about anything. Most of the time I mix it using a 50/50 dilution with water. One of mine here used to get yeast infections in her ears all the time. Once I started cleaning her ears with a cotton ball dipped in this solution, she never had another ear infection. Same dog, she used to get stressed and develop hot spots. I would put the mixture in a spray bottle and use that two or three times a day. Took care of those very nicely. As she has gotten older, she hasn't had these problems, but I always have the bottle at the ready. You can spritz down your doggies to keep fleas and other little beasties away, or use it as a final rinse after a bath too. ACV is very beneficial taken internally as well. Start with a little in the water(mine won't drink it, the snobs) but I add a little into the food. There is tons of research out there, so check around. 2.-Gold Bond Medicated Powder- Love this stuff and you can use a generic brand also. I have used this on sore spots also, when I wanted the area to stay dry(sometimes after the ACV) , for feet in the wet season(I have one who laps her feet when wet and this seemed to take care of that), on "boy" areas, as an ear powder...well you get the idea. 3.-Rescue Remedy- sometime I will do an overall post on flower essences, but right now let's keep it simple. This is a flower essence made by the Bach people and is wonderful for many things. I prefer the spray bottle, but you can get the ones with a little dropper too. I find that with animals, it is easier to spray, because you can just get the air around them and it helps. Great for trauma, stress, grief, anxiety, etc. I sometimes spray the crate before a dog travels and then the dog itself. It is gentle and relaxing and does not interfere with anything that an animal(or person) may be taking. One little bottle can last a while, so that's helpful. In an emergency situation you can also use it every half hour for a few hours with no problems. 4.-Slippery Elm Capsules- I get these at the natural food store or on line in the people section. These are very nice for soothing tummies and the intestinal tract. I just throw a capsule into the food and that's it. Even after a problem has been resolved, these will start the healing process and make sure things get back to normal. 5.- Cranberry- I have girl dogs, we know where we are going with that! I found a simple cran cap with added vit c and usually throw that in the girls' food once a day. Maintenance is what works best for me and the only time I seem to have an issue is when I run out and forget to pick up more caps. There are powders and other things available, so find what works best for you. So this is a start on my cupboard. Next time I will tell you all about the hoeopathic stuff I have and the other little goodies stored away. Good health and doggy hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment